Friday, November 29, 2013

Spend Less. Give More.

Today is the busiest shopping day of the year. Giving is part of the Christmas tradition. The three travelers brought gifts to the baby Jesus. God is generous and we are created in God’s image.



God Says 

I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. –Acts 3:6

Something to Think About 

Peter gave what he had and that was more than enough. The quality of a gift has little to do with the cost of the gift. 

It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving. –Mother Theresa 

Spending more on a loved one doesn’t make the gift better. It makes it more expensive. Some of the best gifts can cost a lot. Some of the best gifts can cost nothing at all. 

Each of us has a primary love language

1. Physical Touch 
2. Quality Time 
3. Gifts 
4. Words of Affirmation 
5. Acts of Service 

Four of these five love languages cost nothing at all except a little effort. It is possible to spend less and give more! 

Individual or Family Activity 

Spend some time indentifying your primary love language or the primary love languages of each other. Share what you learned about each other and how this will change the way you give. 

Practice Giving 

  • Give a hug or hold somebody’s hand. 
  • Spend some quality time (put your phone away…the world will be fine without you for a few hours) with somebody. 
  • Be generous by using encouraging words. Be really intentional about this one.
  • Surprise somebody with an act of service. 
Practice giving more and spending less during the seasons of Advent and Christmas. 

Individual or Family Prayer 

Dear God, 

You are generous. Thank You for giving so much to me. 
Let me be more generous and reflect Your generosity to others. 
Teach me the lesson: I don’t have to spend to give. 

Jesus touched the leper
            Help me hug the hurting and embrace my loved ones 
Jesus spent time listening to and investing in others
            Help me spend undistracted quality time with my friends and family
Jesus offered words of grace to all
            Let my words be intentional and build others up
Jesus was a faithful servant
            Let me selflessly and genuinely serve Your children

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment