Sunday, December 15, 2013

God's Gift of Joy

Like hope and peace: joy is a gift from God. It is different than happiness which depends on external circumstances. Happiness is good, but not permanent. Joy is better and is everlasting. 

God Says 

When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! –John 15:10-11


Something to Think About 

One of God’s initial gifts to humanity was the Ten Commandments. They can be seen as a list of things an austere God tells us to do or not to do. Or they can be viewed as God’s way of telling us how to put our lives together in a way that makes sense. The implication and the promise is that when we live according to God’s law—joy will overflow in our lives. 

Individual or Family Activity 

Think about or talk about God how following God’s Law would increase the joy in your life. What would you need to stop doing? What might be something you need to start doing? 

Individual or Family Prayer 

Dear God - 

Thank you for times of happiness.
For laughs. For smiles. 
For family. For friends. 
For things I enjoy doing. 
For places that bless me. 

Yet I search for something deeper. 

When times are tough: Your power. 
When I feel alone: Your presence.
When going through the motions of life: Your passion.
When I live in the wilderness: Your pleasure. 

Let me follow You more closely.
May I see Your Law as a gift and embrace it.
Fill me with Your joy. Let Your joy overflow in my life.
And may others see Your joy in me. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment