Monday, December 9, 2013

Prayer and Peace

Peace is elusive. If it weren’t elusive, everybody would have it. Worry is prevalent and an obstacle to peace. Prayer makes peace possible. We begin our journey to more peace this week with prayer. 

God Says 

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. –Philippians 4:6-7



Something to Think About 

Paul says not to worry. He is on to something, of course. Think how much time you have wasted worrying about things that have never happened or worrying about things you can do nothing about. Prayer changes that. When we pray the promise is that we will experience God’s peace and that this peace will guard our hearts and our minds. 

Individual or Family Activity 

1. Spend time telling God what you need. (verse 6)
2. Spend time thanking God for what God has done. (verse 6)
3. Ask: How could God’s peace change your life or your lives together?

Individual or Family Prayer

Dear God,

Calm the giant waves of my heart.
Calm this storm inside me. 


Still my soul so I may find rest in You. 
Still my soul so I may experience Your peace. 

Give me a peace that surpasses what I can ever understand. 
Give me a peace the world can never take away. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment