Friday, December 6, 2013

Looking Like God

People most look like God when we serve, when we give, and when we forgive. Yesterday we experienced God’s forgiveness. Today we give it to others.

God Says

Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. –Ephesians 4:32




Something to Think About

Paul urges the Ephesian Christians to be forgiving. Paul understands forgiveness. He experienced it. His past was anything but perfect, but God’s grace was greater than his sin (Romans 5:20). He experienced the power of forgiving others. Forgiveness is not primarily for the offending party, but ultimately a gift to the offended. Ropes of resentment are released and bonds of bitterness are broken. It is the offer of a gift to another and we are the primary beneficiaries. And, when the forgiven becomes forgiving, humans move a step closer to being restored into God’s image which itself is quite a splendid gift.

Individual or Family Activity

Individual – Think of a person you need to forgive. Dream about how God might bless you if you were able to practice forgiveness. Spend a moment and pray about what the next step of forgiveness might look like for you.

Family – Talk about forgiveness. What are some of the benefits? What are some of the challenges? How would forgiving others and / or forgiving each other help your family?

Individual or Family Prayer

Dear God,

You have come to the world so that I may have abundant life.
You have died so that I may experience the forgiveness of sins.
Your sacrifice is absolute and complete.

Grant me the wisdom to forgive others as You have forgiven me.
Remove my feelings of bitterness and resentment.
Help me close some chapters of life so that I can write new ones.

May I reflect Your love to others.
May I forgive as I have been forgiven.
May I look more and more like You everyday.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment