Saturday, December 21, 2013

Joy and Boredom

Life is never boring but some people choose to be bored. The concept of boredom entails an inability to use up present moments in a personally fulfilling way. Boredom is a choice and self-defeating behavior that stands in opposition to joy. As boredom increases joy will decrease. As joy increases boredom will decrease. 

God Says 

Some people work wisely with knowledge and skill, then must leave the fruit of their efforts to someone who hasn’t worked for it. This, too, is meaningless, a great tragedy. So what do people get in this life for all their hard work and anxiety? Their days of labor are filled with pain and grief; even at night their minds cannot rest. It is all meaningless. So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that these pleasures are from the hand of God. For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from him? God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him. But if a sinner becomes wealthy, God takes the wealth away and gives it to those who please him. This, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind. –Ecclesiastes 2:21-26


Something to Think About 

The writer of Ecclesiastes was experiencing boredom in his life. He mentions three times how life is meaningless, like chasing the wind. The reader can sense boredom and meaninglessness has replaced any and all joy. 

Individual or Family Activity 

Talk about or think about: Do you ever feel bored or experience boredom? Can you be joyful and bored at the same time? In what ways can you cooperate with God so that God can make you a new creation—absent of boredom and full of joy? 

Individual or Family Prayer 

Dear God - 

Boredom is part of my life. 

I am missing out on the beauty of Your world. 

     Some days I feel only like I am going through the motions of life. 

My relationships with others need more health and vitality. 
My relationship with You sometimes lacks excitement and joy. 

I want joy to be a bigger part of my life. 
I pray busyness and boredom don’t block the blessings of life.
I pray for the grace to receive love and for the strength to love You and others.
Help me love and be loved.

Bless me with Your joy. 


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment