Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Re-Gifting

Re-gifting is not usually a good practice. We give to another what somebody else has given to us usually because we don’t want the gift we receive. Unlike a shirt or a pan or a fruitcake, God’s gift of Jesus is unlimited. We can give Jesus away and not have any less of Jesus ourselves. In fact, we’ll probably have more of Jesus ourselves.


God Says 

The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, was the prophet talking about himself or someone else?” So beginning with this same Scripture, Philip told him the Good News about Jesus. –Acts 8:34-35 

Something to Think About 

Phillip had earned credibility and goodwill with the Ethiopian Eunuch. The Eunuch was now asking Phillip questions. He trusted Phillip. At the right time, Phillip invited the Eunuch to follow Jesus. The Bible is full of invitations. Specifically, God’s invitation to humanity to accept His love, power, and grace. Jesus was prolific at inviting. He said things like: “Come and follow me” and “Go and tell”.



Individual or Family Activity 

Make a list of people you are going to invite to worship at The Water’s Edge during one of our Christmas Eve worship experiences or to come to the Children’s Christmas Musical. Pray about ways you can invite them to experience God’s love through Christ this Christmas. Make a plan to start making the invitations. 

Individual or Family Prayer 

Dear God, 

Your grace has drawn me in.
You have put people in my path who have invested in me.
You have called people to invite me to know and experience You.
You have included me in Your Kingdom. 

Let me experience Your Kingdom on earth as it is in Heaven. 
I also want to be a vessel of Your grace.
Help me as I invest my life in others.
Bless me with the patience and compassion to actively listen.
May I be a person who has earned the goodwill to be respected and heard by others.
Give me the pure motives of empathy and love. 

Help me make the right invitations at the right time to the right people. 
May my invitations be signals of Your unlimited grace. 
Equip me to lead others into Your family and Your Kingdom.
As You have included me—give me the heart to be inclusive of others.
Prepare me and inspire me to give Your grace to others. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment