Thursday, December 19, 2013

Joy and Anger

Anger is an obstacle to joy. It is not possible to simultaneously experience anger and joy. God’s plan for your life isn’t anger. God’s plan for your life is joy. Which would you rather live out: anger or joy? 

God Says 

Parents, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord. –Ephesians 6:4 

Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper—it only leads to harm. –Psalm 37:8


Something to Think About 

Paul is writing to parents near the end of his letter to the Ephesians. He knows that anger promotes anger, neglect promotes loneliness, and discipline creates fruitfulness, abundance, and joy. 

Individual or Family Activity 

Think about or talk about some of the times you have been angry. What was that like for you? What was that like for people around you? What correlation did anger have to any joy you may have been experiencing? What are some things you can do to more constructively handle things that anger you so that they don’t eliminate or reduce your joy. 

Individual or Family Prayer 

Dear God - 

I confess, at times, my response to anger has not been good. 
I have hurt people I love. 
I have hurt people You love. 
I have hurt myself. 

Give me a heart for things that break Your heart. 
Let my words be encouraging and not destructive. 
Help me to act with compassion and grace. 
May I be a reflection of You. 

Don’t let my anger prevent others from experiencing joy. 
Don’t let my anger prevent me from experiencing joy. 
Fill me with Your joy. 
Let Your joy in my life be a light to the world. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment