Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Sadness and Joy

Grief, pain, and sadness are part of life. They are all inevitable. But death, disease, and dysfunction don’t have to define us. All have been defeated and will be defeated again. We can be defined by joy!

God Says

You will grieve, but your grief will suddenly turn to wonderful joy. –John 16:20



Something to Think About 

Jesus was telling his disciples they will experience loss. He was foreshadowing his own death. He also promises that grief is not where we are to remain. Grief can turn into joy. God’s plan for your life is not suffering. God’s plan for your life is joy! 

Individual or Family Activity 

Write a short letter to God about some of the grief or pain or brokenness in your life. Be honest. Be real. Tell God this isn’t where you want to remain and pray for joy in your life. 

Individual or Family Prayer 

Dear God - 

I have experienced loss in my life. 
I am experiencing loss in my life. 

I have been hurt but people I love. 
I have hurt people I love. 
I have hurt myself. 

People I love have been hurt or are hurting. 
I know what it is like to have a loved one die. 
The pain of the world is evident to me. 

Yet in the midst of despair Your voice still speaks. 
It is a voice of hope. 
It is a voice of peace. 
It is a voice that promises joy. 

Turn my sorrows in joy. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment