Monday, December 2, 2013

God's Overflowing Hope

We live in an imperfect world. Your life will not be an exception to the world’s brokenness. A primary aim of life is not avoiding the inevitable, but dealing with despair and discouragement in helpful, healthy, and hopeful ways. 

God Says 

I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. –Romans 15:13


Something to Think About 

Trusting in God will fill us with joy and peace. Trusting in God also overflows us with hope. We live in a world that can be very tough. Disease, dysfunction, despair, and death are all real. But God heals and God saves. Having hope is one of the most significant attributes of life. It provides people with a vision, energy, and courage to take the next step.

Individual or Family Activity 

Take an empty glass. Imagine this as a life empty of hope. Slowly fill the glass with water until it overflows. Pray about God doing this in your life. Ask God what are some specific next steps you can take over the next twenty-five days so that some of your hopes can begin to be filled and eventually overflowing.
 
Individual or Family Prayer

Dear God, 

I come before you in need of hope. 
I come in need of more hope. 

I feel helpless at times.
Sometimes I am afraid. Sometimes I am weak. 

Give me hope. 
Give me more hope. 

I need hope for a better life.
I need hope for a better future.
I need hope for kindness, compassion, and love.

I observe the sky is darkest just before the new day breaks.
I pray this is true for me as it seems pretty dark right now.
Bless me with Your light which is my hope.
In every way.
In all ways.

Teach me that You are bigger than my problems.
Remind me that You have overcome the world.
Help me to walk in Your light and live my life trusting and hoping in You.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment